CULTURAL CAPITAL OF CHENNAI CITY
Mylapore is also known as ThiruMayilai / MayuraPuri (Mayura means Mayil / Peacock and Puri means Place). It was also known by various other names such as Vedapuri, Mayurakshetra, Shukrapuri etc. It is believed that Mylapore is the birth place of saints Vayilar Nayanar and Pey Azhwar. The divine poet Thiruvalluvar (author of Thirukkural) lived in Mylapore nearly 2000 years ago. There is also a statue and a shrine in honour of Thiruvalluvar (author of Thirukkural) near Madras Sanskrit College.
Mylapore is located approximately 8 kms from Madras Central / Chennai Suburban Railway Station and 18 kms from Chennai International Airport. It is also an important place in the tourist map of Chennai (Tamil Nadu).
Sapta Staana Shiva Temples
(Seven Shiva Temples)
is said to have worshipped Shiva Lingam
under the Punnai tree here. Lord Kapaleeshwara is the presiding deity in this temple (Kabalicharam).
Sage Sukrachariar / Shukra (Velli) is said to have worshipped Lord Siva in this temple (Vellicharam). Goddess Kamakshi is the consort of the presiding deity.
Karaneeswarar, whose consort is Porkodi Ambal, is believed to cure all diseases. The main deity in this temple (Karaneecharam) is known as Karaneeswarar because he is the source / reason (kaarana) for all things to happen.
Goddess Maragadambal is the consort of the presiding deity of Shri Malleeshwarar. Being in the middle of the orchids, the deity is known as Malleeswarar (Malli + Ishvara).
Virupaksheeswarar means 'One with three eyes'. Goddess Visalakshi amman is the consort of Lord Virupaksheeswara in this temple.
Vaali (king of Kishkindha) is said to have worshipped Lord Siva here. It is also a Panchaboodha shetram.
It is believed that the deity of this temple (Tripurasundari sameda Sri Theerthapaleeswarar) has the power to cure all incurable diseases and Rishi Agastya get cured from his illness by drinking the Theertham (holy water) of this temple.
- Other Shaivite Temples
- Appar Swamy Temple
- Veerabhadra Swami Temple
- Thiruveteeswarar Temple (Triplicane)
- Kamakala Kameswarar Temple (Triplicane)
- Vishnu Temples near Mylapore
- Sri Madhava Perumal Temple
- Vedantha Desikar Devasthanam
- Sri Adi Kesava Perumal Temple
- Parthasarathy Temple, Triplicane
- Vinayagar Temples in Mylapore
- Vadagoor Selva Vinayagar Temple
- Sri Navasakthi Vinayagar Temple
- Sengazhuneer Pillaiyar Temple
- Sri Sitheri Vinayagar Temple
- Sakthi Temples in Mylapore
- Shri Kolavizhi Amman Temple
- Mundaka Kanni Amman Temple
- Hanuman Temples in Mylapore
- Luz Anjaneyar Temple
- Veera Anjaneya Swamy Temple
- AlameluMangapuram Anjaneyar Temple
- Alwarpet Sri Anjaneyar Temple
- Other Religious & Cultural Centers near Mylapore
- Universal Temple (Ramakrishna Mutt)
- Shirdi Shri Sai Baba Temple
- Sri Dharmaraja Temple
- Ayyappan Temple, RA Puram
- Nandalala Seva Samithi
- Madras Sanskrit College
- Thiruvalluvar Temple
- Pey Azhwar's Birth Place
- Shri Raghavendra Mutt
- Santhome Church
- Jumma Masjid, Mylapore
- Jain Temple (Kutchery Rd.)
- Vivekananda House, Triplicane
- Big Mosque, Triplicane
- The Music Academy, Madras
- Mylapore Fine Arts Club
- Narada Gana Sabha, Alwarpet
- The Theosophical Society, Adyar